Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By BigUnInDaBoat
  • 1 Post By Marv
  • 1 Post By BigUnInDaBoat
  • 2 Post By scanoe fisher

Thread: Melones 1-16-13

Re: Melones 1-16-13

Hey Big Un nice fish! I mentioned this once before long ago when people were talking about various ways to get their bait to float off the bottom. For the past several years I have had really good luck using the small round foam balls that lots of tackle stores carry. They usually come in a couple of different colors and are about the size of a large salmon egg. Slide one on your hook then up onto the line then fill your hook without your preferred bait. After baiting up slip it back down to the hook like you would with your power egg. They seem to be much more bouyant than any of the power eggs or bait and will float just about anything. We even use one when fishing just straight power or gulp bait. It has dramatically increased our number of bites in situations where you just have to get that bait above the weeds or whatever for the fish to find it. They seem to be pretty durable and don't go flying off your hook when you cast and many times we have been able to catch several fish before losing the foam ball and just have to re-bait as normal after a bite or whatever. Give it a try I think you will be surprised and I am sure they will float that roe for you. I had my doubts and even laughed at them the first time a buddy of mine bought a pack but it only took me trying them once to make a believer out of me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Good job! What color kastmaster was best for you?

Oh, and thank you for releasing the brown!! Very important if this place is to keep them. Everyone please do the same.

Cheers,

Blue and silver, and the brown was on a green and silver with a black aftermarket hook.

Good job! What color kastmaster was best for you?

Oh, and thank you for releasing the brown!! Very important if this place is to keep them. Everyone please do the same.

Cheers,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Great example of stockers vs. Holdovers. Good job releasing the brown as well.
    I had posted this as part of a reply on another board I frequent before your post, what do you think..

"I firmly believe that middle fish was born in a NM trib. It had a large eye and it's fins were perfect, even the dorsal which will never heal "straight" in a planter."

..Bigs

Great example of stockers vs. Holdovers. Good job releasing the brown as well.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

Blog Entries

Melones 1-16-13

Had the bug, got up early headed out to my favorite lake. Was fishing by 8:30. I had a great day catching and mostly releasing fish. I C&R'd a good 15 fish today. Mostly on Kastmasters. Caught the big one on a crawler inflated. Tried roe, missed one good hit, having trouble getting it to float with a power-egg.

For the second time in 25+ years fishing Melones I caught and released a BROWN trout from SHORE. It was about as big as the rainbow in my pic, but much thicker. At first I thought I had a nice bass, then a sqawfish, when I saw color I was shocked. Already had three fish and with DF&W not planting browns in Melones anymore he got to swim free. I'm sorry no pics, my wife even tried to get me to take my camera as I was walking out the door, but all my gear was packed.

Also lost a nice rainbow on bait that wrapped my in some wood, about the same size as the big one I landed.

Peace

BUIDB