Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quick Collins post 01/27

Law Dog

Re: Quick Collins post 01/27

Glad to hear you enjoyed the lake. I wish it was closer for me because the family & I love it there. Its the only place I can get my wife to camp with me & thats only because I rent a cabin with AC & a hot shower....

We usually go late May & early June for a week. We have no problem hooking big trout at that time. I always work the southeast corner of the damn and the east bank just north of there. Firetiger is the hot color for me too....I put my sister in-law (1st time ever fishing) on an 8.3 lbr 2 years ago....beginners luck....
    C U Guys on the Water.........

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    I love the lake Don and honestly with better conditions I think we would have done ok. I will be going there a lot more. Its only an hour drive and again very cheap to fish. I am not a huge fan of DFG fish but the idea of some of those brood stock fish excites me. Im excited to get out there in the summer and go after some of the catfish that I know will be holding in the trees!
    They raise the pen fish AND also bring in trophy plants + dfg does their thing!!!!

Super Moderator

Quick Collins post 01/27

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLSFAMILY View Post
    Did you try the ice cream ? My kids love that place...we usually spend 4-5 days there every summer. Great family lake.
    We always went during Summer and the fishing stunk but great ice cream and even better prices. Summertime does produce some big catfish

J, the ticket for catching those big cats is no weight. Those sobs can feel the weight and will drop the bait. With no weight they pick it up and carry towards the bank, tighten the line and set the hook! I learned this trick from the guys at Johnson bait and tackle in Yuba City and have been catching more cats ever since.

Sent from my iPhone
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CRABBY View Post
    Big guy you got it down pat!!!!!!I'm no expert just lucky an think out of the box a lot which is easy for me cuz I don't usually care if I catch trout or not!!!I really wanted J to do well as I conned him into going,but the weather,moon an a late start kinda worked against him..NOW, as a newby to Salmon fishing I will work hard for them!!!Mark (Mtn.Man)got me hooked last year!!!

I love the lake Don and honestly with better conditions I think we would have done ok. I will be going there a lot more. Its only an hour drive and again very cheap to fish. I am not a huge fan of DFG fish but the idea of some of those brood stock fish excites me. Im excited to get out there in the summer and go after some of the catfish that I know will be holding in the trees!
    Last edited by Jfitalia; 01-28-2013 at 03:18 PM.

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Having just started fishing that lake last year, I'm not the expert that Don is, but can give you my perspective none the less. On weekends, I found the area up around the bridge to get fairly crowded both with boaters and bankers. A common site first thing in the morning is to see all the boats taking off and heading up that way.

Our greatest successes were trolling the dam at sun up and then moving over to the east shore across from the ramp. Afternoon and evening trolling was best out in front of the swimming area. As far as best tackle, as stated on a previous thread....Firetiger!! 75% of our trolling catches last year were on Needlefish, Kastmasters and Rapalas all in Firetiger. Second best was a rainbow trout pattern Yozuri until I snagged it up and lost it.

As far as soaking bait, the north end of the beach, 1/2oz sliding egg sinker and a 24in leader with 1/2 a crawler and just enough PB to float it. Corn yellow PB was #1 (and we tried 10-12 colors) and Hatchery Pellet was #2. Only need to go out 15-20ft max. Far side of dam I did see produce some nice fish as well but never made it over there myself.

~RNP
    Big guy you got it down pat!!!!!!I'm no expert just lucky an think out of the box a lot which is easy for me cuz I don't usually care if I catch trout or not!!!I really wanted J to do well as I conned him into going,but the weather,moon an a late start kinda worked against him..NOW, as a newby to Salmon fishing I will work hard for them!!!Mark (Mtn.Man)got me hooked last year!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLSFAMILY View Post
    Did you try the ice cream ? My kids love that place...we usually spend 4-5 days there every summer. Great family lake.

we wanted to but we were already pretty cold.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

RNP i remember you saying firetiger so I had the GF tow a broken back around for an hour or so at 80-100ft back for no hits. She also tried the rainbow rap and a rainbow kastmaster. We will be back there again I promise!

Ban Master

Having just started fishing that lake last year, I'm not the expert that Don is, but can give you my perspective none the less. On weekends, I found the area up around the bridge to get fairly crowded both with boaters and bankers. A common site first thing in the morning is to see all the boats taking off and heading up that way.

Our greatest successes were trolling the dam at sun up and then moving over to the east shore across from the ramp. Afternoon and evening trolling was best out in front of the swimming area. As far as best tackle, as stated on a previous thread....Firetiger!! 75% of our trolling catches last year were on Needlefish, Kastmasters and Rapalas all in Firetiger. Second best was a rainbow trout pattern Yozuri until I snagged it up and lost it.

As far as soaking bait, the north end of the beach, 1/2oz sliding egg sinker and a 24in leader with 1/2 a crawler and just enough PB to float it. Corn yellow PB was #1 (and we tried 10-12 colors) and Hatchery Pellet was #2. Only need to go out 15-20ft max. Far side of dam I did see produce some nice fish as well but never made it over there myself.

~RNP

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CRABBY View Post
    Well ya didn't get skunked,wish ya would of got there earlier,Oh well,and the bridge you found is a popular place for many to park then walk down an fish,careful tho cuz the lake owners still expect you to pay an the Sheriff looks for day use stickers when an if they cruise by that area an your parked there!!!Hope your Pet problem ended well!!

I am just wondering if that area would be better to paddle around. What I like best about the river arm was that it was protected from the wind. We were also shocked at how cheap it was to get in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast