Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene St. Denis
  • 1 Post By dabalone

Thread: 2/9/2012 Finsane + Gangs Tahoe Trip + 11 Fish netted !!

Images

Re: 2/9/2012 Finsane + Gangs Tahoe Trip + 11 Fish netted !!

The fish we got that day were 50/50 air bladder and Shrimp in the Bellys. In Spawn it is 30 percent food , 30 percent air bladder and 30 percent Eggs. The larger Macks can get rid of their bladder and Fight very well. This is from THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS I have Netted over the Decades. gst

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonzac View Post
    Hey Dabalone those mackinaw are fat and healthy but the reason they have a huge bulge is from there air bladder expanding coming up from the depths. There are multiple ways of releasing them. Some people use a decent size hollow needle to release the air but some say that's not the best way to do it. Another form of release is clippping the lower jaw into the downrigger release and lowering them back down and they will shake off the clip. Just recently I saw another tool that was a three pound weight with a type of angled wire bar that goes through the bortom jaw, you lower them down and pull up and the bar slides right out and they swim free into the deep blue.
    Thanks for the insight Fishonzac! I figured this is what I was seeing. Been a longtime diver and know well the effects of pressure, I have dove to depths of over 100' with scuba. Its quite the experience feeling the pressure at these depths, as an example for learning divers we would put a tennis ball in their vests and take them down to 100' in controlled conditions and have them pull the ball out when we hit bottom at that depth. The ball would be crushed into a little wad and then after ascent the ball would be back to normal, really eye opening for people.

Great day on the water with calm conditions and when we were in the sun the temps weren't an issue at all. The captain is a great host and the fishing wasn't too bad either. Gene it was great to finally meet you in person and i'm sure i'll be seeing you soon. Don, don't say things like that too loud, i'm shooting for a raise in the very near future, you might screw it up ! I have some pics to put up as soon as I figure out how, haha..... tight lines, Finsane.
    May the holes in your net be smaller than the fish in it.

aka SMOGGUY

Nice one Gene,but now I'm JEALOUS,my bud Bill is up there with you an I'm not!!!!!LOL,he's makin way to much money!!!!!!!......Don

Hey Dabalone those mackinaw are fat and healthy but the reason they have a huge bulge is from there air bladder expanding coming up from the depths. There are multiple ways of releasing them. Some people use a decent size hollow needle to release the air but some say that's not the best way to do it. Another form of release is clippping the lower jaw into the downrigger release and lowering them back down and they will shake off the clip. Just recently I saw another tool that was a three pound weight with a type of angled wire bar that goes through the bortom jaw, you lower them down and pull up and the bar slides right out and they swim free into the deep blue.

Great pics. Interesting, the pics of Mackinaws always show their stomach area so bloated they almost look deformed. What are these fish gorging on or is it their bladders expanding from being pulled up out of deep water? Are these fish surviving being pulled up from the depths and can be released or is it basically a meat fishery like rockfishing in the ocean? Just curious.

Images

Fish Re: 2/9/2012 Finsane + Gangs Tahoe Trip + 11 Fish netted !!

More Pictures !!

Images

Fish 2/9/2012 Finsane + Gangs Tahoe Trip + 11 Fish netted !!

Well, Finsane and his Friends loaded up the PT-109 and we Hit the Big Lake.... Lake Tahoe and turned the Bow of the PT-109 North to cal Neva Point for some of that Old time Tahoe Feeling !!! 13 degrees for a low and 39 for a high ... . We tried everything and finally the Fish started to Bite !!! We Netted 11 Nice fish from 1 to 5 Pounds and lost several...........All Mackinaw and not a single Rainbow or Brown.....next Time !! One nice fish on for a couple minutes....All Hand were Expert Anglers !! Here is there tail !!! gst Captain Gene St. Denis (530) 544-6552 Blueribbon Fishing Charters