Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Trout Derby Live-well Question

Re: Trout Derby Live-well Question

That was the reason we got aswell, these guys were pretty sneaky cruising around the lake in a red deep V tracker. I was going to get huffy with them untill i saw the hats and sidearms LOL

Ban Master

Quote Originally Posted by IronClad View Post
    I had encountered this up on lake oroville with DFW doing a license/fish check. These were actual wardens and not fish counters and when they asked to see our fish and i pulled the trout out of my livewell ( no intention of keeping them live, the water was cold and i didnt have an ice chest so in it went) they told me that was illegal. I explained i had no idea and ofcourse obliged and killed the trout on the spot infront of them and they were happy with it. I dont really understand the point of the law other than you cant use salmonid's as bait. All in all i'd just say to cover your ass and dont keep anything alive =)
    Had same experience at Oroville several years ago (Probably same officers). The wardens were cool about it and didnt cite us. We already had the boat on the trailer and were at the cleaning station. They saw us reaching into the live well pulling the fish out. The way they explained the reasoning for it was that it prevents anglers from tossing back small fish in favor of bigger fish throughout the day. They told us that the law applies for all species except bass during permitted events.

~RNP

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

The law is to prevent culling of trout.

I had encountered this up on lake oroville with DFW doing a license/fish check. These were actual wardens and not fish counters and when they asked to see our fish and i pulled the trout out of my livewell ( no intention of keeping them live, the water was cold and i didnt have an ice chest so in it went) they told me that was illegal. I explained i had no idea and ofcourse obliged and killed the trout on the spot infront of them and they were happy with it. I dont really understand the point of the law other than you cant use salmonid's as bait. All in all i'd just say to cover your ass and dont keep anything alive =)

Blog Entries

This is the actual wording in the section regarding bait:

(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat.

It can certainly be easily misinterpreted.

What I've heard is that fisherman will put live trout in a live well with obviously no intention of keeping them for bait. They later hear others call that culling and believe that they broke the law.

or

They put their fish in the live well and then forget and pull the boat out and run into a student working for the DFW doing a creel count. At that point they are reminded that what they did is illegal.

I do not personally know anyone that was actually cited for culling or transporting live trout.

I did a quick search on the regs for the word culling and cull and didn't find anything that would indicate it was illegal to cull trout except this constant reminder;

As a reminder it is illegal to intentionally conceal, cull or possess a salmonid in a condition such that species, size and the presence of an adipose fin cannot be determined. (FGC, section 1.45 and 8226)

There are a whole set of regs that back up the published, simplified regs on the DFG website and there are also federal regs. There may be more info in those that amplifies the subject.

Super Moderator

Yup card board box to lol....hell if it's a planter I think we should be able to hook it up for live bait . But the law is pretty clear on this one

Fish on!
    Always wishin I was fishin!

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    Well that says "over the side of the boat" so does that mean in the boat is ok?

I've seen trout survive all day in those floating baskets used by shore anglers.
    >>>>>It's on page 15 of the regs under bait. It states no trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in a container or stringer hanging over the side of the boat. I looked this up a few months ago. <<<<<<
    As stated it says "Not maintained in a live condition in a container".I would think that covers live wells,ice chests etc.or even a cardboard box even in your boat!!
    Last edited by CRABBY; 12-11-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 49erbassman View Post
    It's on page 15 of the regs under bait. It states not trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in a container or stringer hanging over the side of the boat. I looked this up a few months ago.

Fish on!

Well that says "over the side of the boat" so does that mean in the boat is ok?

I've seen trout survive all day in those floating baskets used by shore anglers.

Super Moderator

It's on page 15 of the regs under bait. It states not trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in a container or stringer hanging over the side of the boat. I looked this up a few months ago.

Fish on!
    Always wishin I was fishin!

I do not remember exactly where it is in the regs but you are not allowed to keep live trout in or on a boat. Even stringers over the side to keep them alive are not legal. On the bank stringers are apparently not a problem if the fish remains alive. This has been the law for a long time. On my boat if you want to keep your trout you will kill it or you will not keep a trout and stay on my boat. I do it by bonking or bleeding or both. The way it was explained to me years ago was fishermen may try to use a live trout for bait and that is illegal. Why the difference between boat and bank nobody seems to know. Just what I have read and been told and I was wrong at least once before.
    John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast