Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Trout Derby Live-well Question

Re: Trout Derby Live-well Question

There is a law called "wanton waste" that addresses C&R of fish that die. If you catch a fish and you release it dead or it swims off three feet and dies and you do not retrieve it and "bag it" you could be cited. C&R will never be against the law because trout fisherman practice it an many places and its recommended in some places like Melones where brown trout do not get stocked anymore and their release is recommended to keep the species in the lake or like Sonoma with the landlocked trout/steelhead. The issue of NO C&R needs to be cleared up before any derbies happen because like Bass Jack said about shaking off fish....that could be considered culling or C&R? Standard C&R means to land the fish then release it but I see a guy shaking them off at the boat (or bank) and then being disqualified for braking the rules of the derby? RF

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    I love this train of thought. Following this logic, I'm going to spend the day tipping over every vending machine I can find onto myself. I know there is a sticker that clearly says not to right on the side of the machine, but there is no law specifically against vending tipping, just some convoluted personal injury mumbo jumbo. Who wants to join me?
    No law against being crazy!
    ​Catchya Later, Hooks

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    Until then C&R all you want. No law against it. Although the laws are intentionally written in a vague manner to give wardens leeway to interpret them. Maybe?
    I love this train of thought. Following this logic, I'm going to spend the day tipping over every vending machine I can find onto myself. I know there is a sticker that clearly says not to right on the side of the machine, but there is no law specifically against vending tipping, just some convoluted personal injury mumbo jumbo. Who wants to join me?

Quote Originally Posted by dilbeck View Post
    My guess is that when they said no C&R they actually meant no culling.

What reason would they have to not want people to C&R? Why would they be against it?

Will definitely be difficult to enforce C&R.
    Maybe because the C&R "laws" don't stop the killing of fish that are stressed from the fight?

Maybe C&R is coming full cycle and will be outlawed because guys(me) catch too many fish and kill more than the daily limit, under the guise of "saving the fish so they can be caught again"? And again? Maybe?

One thing I have noticed is that when using barbless hooks, when you get the fish to the side of the boat, if you give the fish slack line it will get off most of the time. Maybe barbless hooks are on their way out also? You can also judge the fish at this time to see if you want to keep it or not? Culling???

Some times the fish are fouled hooked and must be released. Or a slot fish that must be released. Or "0" take waters in which all fish must be released(be careful here because if the fish you release dies you can be cited).

Maybe it's coming to the point that if you even get a "rise" or a "hit" It will count towards your daily bag limit? Maybe?

Until then C&R all you want. No law against it. Although the F&G laws are intentionally written in a vague manner to give wardens leeway to interpret them. Maybe?
    Last edited by hooks; 12-13-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    ​Catchya Later, Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Fun View Post
    Kinda weird that they say to follow all DFW rules but then say no C&R? C&R trout is not illegal and at best very hard to near impossible for a derby to enforce so that's going be a honor thing. As far as culling fish from the livewell or stringer.....that's illegal for sure. Sounds like a great derby with a huge payout!! RF
    My guess is that when they said no C&R they actually meant no culling.

What reason would they have to not want people to C&R? Why would they be against it?

Will definitely be difficult to enforce C&R.

aka SMOGGUY

Kinda weird that they say to follow all DFW rules but then say no C&R? C&R trout is not illegal and at best very hard to near impossible for a derby to enforce so that's going be a honor thing. As far as culling fish from the livewell or stringer.....that's illegal for sure. Sounds like a great derby with a huge payout!! RF
    Ronnie,looks like you keep the 1st five fish you get no matter what size an then turn in the biggest one!!!I guess.lol...

Images

I'd say these posts above me answer the question! Sounds like I'll be taking a small ice chest and keeping the first five I catch. Thanks all!
    A day of fishing beats a day at work!

Blog Entries

All California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife fishing regulations apply, including possession of a valid
    California fishing license for everyone age 16 & up. Anglers must fish only with a closely attended
    fishing rod. No hand lines or drag nets are allowed. Catch and release is not allowed. Snagging of fish
    is prohibited. State limits of 5 trout per person shall be required of all participants. RF
    That seems to answer the OP's question and leaves little to doubt.

All California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife fishing regulations apply, including possession of a valid
    California fishing license for everyone age 16 & up. Anglers must fish only with a closely attended
    fishing rod. No hand lines or drag nets are allowed. Catch and release is not allowed. Snagging of fish
    is prohibited. State limits of 5 trout per person shall be required of all participants. RF

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast