Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By pned100

Thread: Folsom 5-31 late report

Re: Folsom 5-31 late report

Fished this morning 6-10... Water temp was up to 76! That's a big jump from a week ago. Took the above suggestions... Took out the dodgers, added a few speedy shiners and some lead core set ups... And it worked! Haha for 5 smaller bass,1 bigger catfish, and 1 trout. Have never seen a catfish take a trolled needlefish but that thing was fun on trout gear, thought we somehow got caught on something cause it hit like a train and stayed deep. Bass hit in 200 feet of water and 30 feet of water...never caughtso many bass not fishing for them. Hey caught fish... Not the ones we were looking for but it was fun so it's all good. Going to guess those trout r going deeper w the water temp sky rocketing. Thanks again for suggestions and will stay at it. Haha My dad w the catfish...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Prob going to give it a go Saturday early before the heat and yahoos arrive. Looks like i will be tryin a few new things thanks to your suggestions. Haha just when u think u got 1 of everything... Sportsmens here I come for some bleeding frog patterns! Any u going to b out?

Quote Originally Posted by pned100 View Post
    Late report but been bust since. Fished Saturday solo 615-1045. Trolled up and down the north fork... Shallow... Deep....only really marked concentrations of fish in water less than 40ft deep. Water temp 70-72. Tried flashers and dodgers teamed up w grubs, worms, needlefish, humdinger, little dic nights...also top lined rapala for a while. ended up w 2 tiny Kokanee which resembled striper bait to me. Had a few other pulls on worms but were hit and runs.

Somewhat limited on depth w no downriggers but trying to to get depths/speeds figured out w trolling sinkers. Not my favorite to have all that weight but better then nothing I suppose. Varied speeds from 1.9-2.5mph.

Any insight to trolling the lake? Speeds? Depths u r having success w right now? Some offerings better than others? The lakes 10 min from me but gave up on it yrs ago w limited success but I'm out to change that!
    Leave the dodgers at home. 1.9-2.5 is too fast for dodgers anyways unless you are using flat sling blades. Use your baits naked. Speedy shiners and needlefish. I have been doing real well on the leadcore. I attatch 3 colors with a 50' 12 pound leader to a swivel to 3' of 8 pound test. Set your clicker and loosen the drag to nothing. A hit will scream off the reel. Its a hoot!!! Check out the video Cal and Paul shot on my boat last week. its on the homepage. I have been fishing Folsom lake about 3-5 times a week since January. Its been a darn good to even an epic bite all year. Slowed down last week but if you put in the time, you will get the fish. Also, read some of my reports in the guide section on Folsom Lake. I have detailed what is working. If you have any questions, call me at 916-284-3089 or book a half day trip and I'll show you what puts em in the boat.
    5.25.14 folsom kings.jpgryans birthday at Folsom.jpgmatt samuel folsom 2.23.14.jpgfolsom 5.26.14.jpgfolsom 5.25.14.jpg
    Last edited by wearegods1; 06-04-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Yes, Senior Member

if you have a couple rod holders on one side. You can use a string and 4/6# weight for a downrigger.

I used an old rod butt with an old reel ( for ease of retrieving weight) and some kite string for a downrigger. Works perfectly. caught fish from 10 feet setbacks to 100 ft setbacks. Sharpie black the string the first 10 feet.

Without a down rigger your pretty limited on getting down to where the fish are. I know for a fact that two or three colors of lead core with a fair amount of leader and a 1/8 or 1/4 oz speedy shiner in dark colors will get them. I fished yesterday and both the trout and King bite has really fallen off. Two weeks ago limits were the rule, now 6 to 8 hours of trollin may put some in the box. With a down rigger, long set backs at 40'down was the go to pattern. Good luck. Whalonem

Are you sure they were kokes and not planter kings?
    As far as lures go it seems everyone loves speedy shiners
    Trout in there love needle fish especially frog and bleeding frog.
    Your speed is fine but as it gets hotter you may be limited with the in line sinker set up. You can always drift fish minnows or anchovy bits around bait balls in search of a king

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Folsom 5-31 late report

Late report but been bust since. Fished Saturday solo 615-1045. Trolled up and down the north fork... Shallow... Deep....only really marked concentrations of fish in water less than 40ft deep. Water temp 70-72. Tried flashers and dodgers teamed up w grubs, worms, needlefish, humdinger, little dic nights...also top lined rapala for a while. ended up w 2 tiny Kokanee which resembled striper bait to me. Had a few other pulls on worms but were hit and runs.

Somewhat limited on depth w no downriggers but trying to to get depths/speeds figured out w trolling sinkers. Not my favorite to have all that weight but better then nothing I suppose. Varied speeds from 1.9-2.5mph.

Any insight to trolling the lake? Speeds? Depths u r having success w right now? Some offerings better than others? The lakes 10 min from me but gave up on it yrs ago w limited success but I'm out to change that!