Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thelastword
  • 1 Post By streamcaster

Thread: Butt Lake

Re: Butt Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Fish4Stephen View Post
    I have a good friend, who is very intelligent but swears he has seen Alligators in Butt lake. He says that the burrow into the mud in the Fall to survive the winter. Is there any truth to this story, I for one have a hard time finding any truth in it.
    Fish4Stephen
    hahaha...i was planning to use my float tube there next weekend. truth or not..forget it, not doing it.

Images

Went there on a lark early in the season as the Feather river (at Beldon) was blown out.
    In three casts (below the power house) C&R an 18 inch rainbow and a 22 inch 5lb brown on my favorite lure.

Some info about Butt:
    Located below Almanor, Butt Lake formerly produced trout of epic proportions. When the turbines were turned on at Canyon Dam, thousands of pond smelt would be sliced, diced and washed down to Butt Lake and its waiting trout. It was not uncommon for trout in the 10- to 15-pound class to be taken by anglers throwing small white jigs into the frothy outlet.
    Unfortunately, the lake was drawn down for dam repairs and stump removal, and since then there’s been no sight of the big fish. That’s not to say it’s not worth hightailing it down to Butt Lake when starts moving from Almanor. Instead, expect browns and rainbows in the 2- to 5-pound class with an occasional bruiser to 8 pounds.

I have a good friend, who is very intelligent but swears he has seen Alligators in Butt lake. He says that the burrow into the mud in the Fall to survive the winter. Is there any truth to this story, I for one have a hard time finding any truth in it.
    Fish4Stephen

maybe try Pro Cure's "Butt Juice"

I have noticed that the water is pretty clear or at least 10 to 20 years ago it was. So some good tactics are needed. I have heard that they had some big cutthroats in there??,that was at least 20 years ago! Campgrounds are nice and if you don't have any luck Almanor is up the hill full of king salmon and trout!!

OldTimer

The power house is where the big ones lurk. If I was trolling the main lake, I'd use small crawdad patterns. The small mouth and trout will hit it. Regarding crawdads, I've seen guys with 50 lbs of crawdads they caught there. I like to fish the peninsula between the creek and the power house. The fish at the power house are feeding on pond smelt washed down from Almanor. Fish similiar patterns in the white water of the power house and have your drag set right.

Butt lake is where i had my best "one that got away" story...i won't bore you with the details but the only place i've had any luck trout fishing at butt lake is in the creek that lets into the lake. I would suggest drifting a nightcrawler under a water bobber. sometimes you can sight fish and cast right to the fish, otherwise you could toss a spoon or spinner into the current at the power house near the inlet.
    The main body is full of full grown trees cut just below the surface so watch out for those. If you're trolling watch where you are and be prepared to lose tackle and/or downrigger balls. I don't have any great advice to give as far as what tackle to use trolling because I've never caught anything trolling there. I've heard that dodger/wedding rings work but would imagine that a trolling fly would work well too.
    And just FYI, the smallmouth bass fishing is pretty fantastic! If all else fails give that a shot.
    Good luck...

--Tyler

Butt Lake

Anyone have any Butt Lake info. Going up that way after the 4th.