Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The proper way to C&R TROUT

Re: The proper way to C&R TROUT

Flipping a trout over in the water so it's upside down causes the fish to become disoriented, with the effect that they calm down considerably and are much easier to unhook. As for when to release, I don't do it until the fish really starts to fight me, which can take sometimes take several minutes (e.g., a big brownie at Almanor).

I'll also throw in these two pieces of info. Dear Lord, keep your hands out of the fish's gills - the gill membrane layers are really thin and fragile, and it takes very little to break that membrane and have trout bleeding all over the place in an instant. Second, with real big fish, yanking 'em out of the water with just a BogaGrip or by just the gill plate can often break/dislocate bones since the fish's body no longer has the support of the water.

I find that barbless hooks come out a lot easier, sometimes before I can get a fish in. To me that is okay since trout are such bleeders I often de-barb my lures and when bait fishing I will set the hook a lot quicker, right when the fish begins to bite. I don't take the fish out of the water and I try to only grasp the lure with my pliers instead of grabbing the fish.

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by mike_l View Post
    The Shelton stuff looks really cool. I haven't used them, but if I know I'm going to dunk a crawler or some PB I'd give them a try. They have an eye on the bend of the hook and a leader from that. If the fish is hooked deeply you pull on this leader and the hook backs itself right out. Here's a link...

When I first saw this I called the inventor and talked with him about where to purchase. Cool guy. -Mike

Shelton Release the self releasing hook.
    Took a look at the link an the setups,videos,etc.although pricey they appear to work very well an for C&R they appear to make a net unnecessary in most situations,also keep in mind the retail price includes a good leader material an the sliders,an with many of our advertisers they take retail prices an reduce the price for us,but that takes a demand for the product,these hooks look promising an may bear looking into by all,irregardless of how you fish.Don
    Last edited by CRABBY; 09-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.

The Shelton stuff looks really cool. I haven't used them, but if I know I'm going to dunk a crawler or some PB I'd give them a try. They have an eye on the bend of the hook and a leader from that. If the fish is hooked deeply you pull on this leader and the hook backs itself right out. Here's a link...

When I first saw this I called the inventor and talked with him about where to purchase. Cool guy. -Mike

Shelton Release the self releasing hook.

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by panther View Post
    If bait fishing, use the Shelton Self Releasing Hooks. It doesn't even matter if the fish has swallowed the hook...you will not need to take it out of the water, and will release it unharmed. I've been doing this for about 10 years.

Panther
    OK I'm ignorant about these hooks,what an how do they work,I admit I've never heard of them.Thanks Don

Super Moderator
    Images

Good info guys.....!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_l View Post
    JTroutMan...the best way I've found to control them is to use a net. That way I can keep the fish in the water and unhook them in the net. I DON'T WANT to find myself pinning the trout against my pant or wader leg to control him beacuse of the slime layer.

I hate carrying a net toobut it saves the fish

-Mike
    Good tips Mike, thanks. You also brought up a good issue in terms of a tiring fish out. A few years back I caught my biggest brown ever (oval shaped male with big snout), great battle and I got pix, wanted to release but honestlyl fished looked like it was so exhausted it wouldn't make. Did not want to take chance of release and seeing it floating. Brings up issue of when do you 'know it's revived ok'.

If bait fishing, use the Shelton Self Releasing Hooks. It doesn't even matter if the fish has swallowed the hook...you will not need to take it out of the water, and will release it unharmed. I've been doing this for about 10 years.

Panther

JTroutMan...the best way I've found to control them is to use a net. That way I can keep the fish in the water and unhook them in the net. I DON'T WANT to find myself pinning the trout against my pant or wader leg to control him beacuse of the slime layer.

I hate carrying a net toobut it saves the fish

-Mike

Hi...The suggestions below are from an article printed on a fly only forum in SoCal. The author gave me permission to use it and I think it's pretty well written.

1. Get the trout to hand as soon as possible. Overplaying a trout causes a potentially catastrophic build-up of lactic acid in the trouts’ tissues. Lactic acid is a very bad thing.

2. Help protect the trout’s slime coating by not handling the fish at all, if possible. If handling is necessary for whatever reason, it should only be done after completely wetting your hands. Handling should be kept to an absolute minimum. And please, don’t grasp the trout with a towel.

3. Keeping a trout out of the water is like keeping a human under water; breathing is impossible. The less time a trout stays out of the water, the better its’ chances for continued, post-release survival.

4. Once the fly is removed from the trouts’ lip, gently cradling the trout underwater in your open hands until it is ready to leave will help assure a safe release and continued survival for the trout. Allow the trout a few moments to collect its’ thoughts and gather its momentum, and it will run away from you faster than a car thief running from the cops.

There's a lot of editorializing that could be done, but the fact is many trout fishermen release trout either because it's the only way they fish or to keep room on their stringer for bigger fish. Regardless of the reason, it seems to me that if you're going to release a fish you probably want it to actually survive.

I would add to the above points that:

Pinching down your barbs really makes this all easier. I have not found that fishing barbless has cost me fish. If you keep a bend in your rod and apply steady pressure barbless works fine. It also lands the fish quickly, not overtaxing the fish's system.

When you need a new net, get one of the new ones that protect the fish's slime coating. The old nylon nets are tough on fish.

Regarding point #3...when you take a trout out of the water, have someone tape your mouth closed and put a clothes pin on your nose. If you're running out of air after a minute or so, how do you suppose the fish feels after already fighting for it's life and losing?

For bait guys, if the fish is hooked deep and you want to release it, the best thing to do is snip off your leader close to the fish and donate that hook to the waters.

Also, some folks may not know that lipping a trout is extremely damaging to their jaws/mouth. They are not at all like a bass in this regard. They should be held just in front of the tail and supported under the stomach.

I C&R most of what I catch, but have no problem with folks legally keeping fish, especially planters as opposed to wild fish. I hope that those folks who do release all or part of their catch will make the effort to do it effectively.

Great move by the Sniffer to start this thread...Thanks!

-Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast