Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The proper way to C&R TROUT

aka SMOGGUY

Re: The proper way to C&R TROUT

This was posted by" HookedforLife".>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>If you plan to catch and release trout, I would caution against using power bait, because a high percentage of them die after release from deep hooking in the vital organs, like gills and esophagus. If you plan to keep the fish you catch on power bait as part of the limit, the problem is solved. See:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...emortality.pdf>>>>>>>>>>>>Sorry guys the link is correct but appears to be broken could just be the site is down,will leave it up just in case it comes back...Don
    Last edited by CRABBY; 12-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.

aka SMOGGUY

I just saw this info an felt some of you may be interested,the Shelton hooks discussed above are a sponsor of these forums,you may contact StrikeFighter for more info at his e mail address or give him a PM,you may also view his post on page 4 on the amador thread,you may also click on our sponsors an view Shelton products there.Thanks Don

aka SMOGGUY

Capt Nemo
    View Profile
    View Forum Posts
    Private Message
    View Blog Entries
    View Articles
    Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join Date May 2009
    Location Santa Rosa
    Age 59
    Posts 10 C&R advice
    I'd like to add to the thread--it's a good one. As a fish biologist, one of the things that really urkes me is to see someone "tailing" a female fish. Especially with the salmon and trout, if you pick up a gravid female by the tail, the egg mass will slid down into the liver and can cause fatal bleeding. When you handle that pretty steelhead hen, keep her head up so she can live to spawn

aka SMOGGUY

As I stated if you have something to add an it is relevant let me Know in a pm,don't start a new thread,I felt this thread was worth saving because of this young mans good attitude an moral values.Don
    Last edited by CRABBY; 09-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.

aka SMOGGUY

Nickyman22
    View Profile
    View Forum Posts
    Private Message
    View Blog Entries
    View Articles
    Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Posts 9 Trout Catch and Release
    As I go to more creeks and lakes and see pictures, I'm seeing more and more keeping of fish. I'll agree, I love coming home with fish to eat and cooking them on a campfire and such, but I only do that one weekend a year, and on special occasions. Now I am not saying to release every fish you catch, but to simply reduce the amount you keep, especially on wild and native fish. Fishing is what I love to do more than anything, and being a teen it's what keeps me away from drugs alcohol and the partying I'm constantly around. I hope to see this for teens in the future. And to me, the real trophy of a trophy trout is seeing and feeling that beautiful fish swim out of your hands and back into the deep. But I almost don't see a point in doing that when the day after, someone hooks that fish and takes it out to eat it. So please, let the fish swim again. CPR. Catch. Photo. Release.

aka SMOGGUY

Folks this thread has about run it's course as far as info goes,it went VERY well,lot's of good info has been presented,I hope many have learned a thing or two,C&R is just not about throwing a fish back in the water an hoping it survives,this thread explains the correct way,weather you eat em an only let a few go as many do,or you release them all the facts are here,please do it right,Thanks to Mike I for suggesting this thread an Many Many thanks to those of you who don't C&R ever for not posting any negative comments,that speaks very well for many members here an the QUALITY of fisher people I want on this board along with the Fish Sniffer Staff an other Moderators,if any of you want to get a good informational thread going an keep it as a sticky like this please let me know,we don't have a F&Q set up yet an this is the only way to do it.I am locking this thread now if you have any good info not brought up please PM me an I or another Mod will let you enter it,until then enjoy an learn from whats here.Thanks Don

Found a link to a really good article on releasing trout. Tips from several experts, all of them saying the same things pointed out by everyone above. Quick battle to land, wet hands, keep the fish in water, rubber C&R net, etc. -Mike

Fly Fishing Answers, Releasing Fish - MidCurrent

SMOGGUY and mike_I,

These hooks are expensive. They are pre-rigged with an 18" or 36" leader. I am not exaggeration when I say that I have caught dozens of fish using the same hook over-and-over. So the price really becomes very minimal, and I feel good about sometimes catching "a ton of fish" and releasing them all unharmed.

As I said before, I've used them exclusively when I bait fish for about the last 10 years. They are an excellent product.

Panther

What a terrific thread! While I've fished for most species of fresh, and some saltwater fish, my passion is as a c&r flyfisherman, so it's good to see a thread like this. Along with all the great advice here, I'd just add to invest in a pair of hemostats. You can buy them in standard sizes of three to five inches, or jumbos of eight to nine inches that will even handle unbuttoning a treble hooked musky or pike. (Sorry, I came from the northeast where pike and musky were considered game fish and not vermin,lol). There's 3 things that will cause me to turn around to go back home to get at the start of any fishing trip, my hat, polorized glasses and my hemostats. Keep up the great work!

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post

I'll also throw in these two pieces of info. Dear Lord, keep your hands out of the fish's gills - the gill membrane layers are really thin and fragile, and it takes very little to break that membrane and have trout bleeding all over the place in an instant. Second, with real big fish, yanking 'em out of the water with just a BogaGrip or by just the gill plate can often break/dislocate bones since the fish's body no longer has the support of the water.
    Very good info,bigger fish should never be hung up like that.Don

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast