Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Setup for trolling with lead core for trout

Re: Setup for trolling with lead core for trout

I like the 40 to 50 feet of fluro or mono leader as it allows freedom for the fish to zip and jump and with a large fish capable of pulling line most of the give and take occurs near the boat and does not involve LC or Knots.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    when i install a leader to leadcore, i strip 6 to 8 inches of leadc out,
    insert the leader as far as it will go then tie a figure 8 know at the junction
    of lc and leader, never had a problem.
    be safe
    The knot I use is called the Willis Knot. I learned it from my friend Val up at Eagle Lake, I never knew it had a name until now.

Here's a link to it. Your knot will work just as well I'm sure.

UPangler.com

when i install a leader to leadcore, i strip 6 to 8 inches of leadc out,
    insert the leader as far as it will go then tie a figure 8 knot at the junction
    of lc and leader, never had a problem.
    be safe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    As I stated before I use only 5 feet of leader on my lead core. I strip out some of the lead and tie to a ball bearning swivel and attach leader to the swivel.

CC
    That works, I did that for years. I just like the eyes on the leader when the fish gets close to the boat.

Blog Entries
    Images

As I stated before I use only 5 feet of leader on my lead core. I strip out some of the lead and tie to a ball bearning swivel and attach leader to the swivel.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Blog Entries

I've never experienced a problem like you. I change my leaders of often so maybe that's why.

When I have tried Knots that involve only the sheath of the LC, a weak spot develops due to abrasion from the inside from the broken end of the lead filament. I only have experience with sufix brand LC, dacron and 832.

Blog Entries

The knot I use is a little different. I pull about 6 inches of lead out then take the empty braid and make a loose overhand knot and work it so I have about 4" of straight sheath to work with.

Next I thread my leader material inside the braid and once I have it in as far as I can I work the overhand knot back until the part with the leader in it becomes part of it. Once it's where I want it I pull the overhand knot tight.

I don't know if you can picture that or not. Because the leader is inside the braid the two become one and I've never had one come loose. You can do double and tripple overhands if you want but each one makes it a little harder to slide down and I personally don't think it makes enough difference for the effort.

The knot works like the chineese finger torture thing so the harder you pull the tighter it grips. I've tested it and always break the line first. The best part is that the knot is tiny compared to anything else.

It's probably not the best knot for an impatient person. I guarantee it will tick you off until you get the hang of threading the leader into the braid.

Quote Originally Posted by borntoscout View Post
    832 LC only comes in 12 and 18 lb. I think a LC to LC blood knot would be too bulky to deal with.
    My bad, it was this Cabela's: Tuf-Line MicroLead Lead Core. I was told when tying a new leader to lead core to break of the lead core a few inches up the sheath and use the remaining braided part to tie the knots. I'm assuming that doesn't make it any weaker, and wouldn't make for a huge knot.
    Last edited by Lifted; 03-28-2013 at 03:09 PM.

832 LC only comes in 12 and 18 lb. I think a LC to LC blood knot would be too bulky to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast