Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Triploid Trout - What is it?

Re: Triploid Trout - What is it?

I was listening to Denis Pearse this AM on KNCO and he interviewed the woman who manages Englebright Lake. She said her pen raised trout that were bought in November from the Lassen Fishery have essentially tripled their size/wt. (2# to 6#) from Nov. to now. Must be triploids I expect... I fish that lake often since it's close to home but mostly just catch small planters which I return to the water. Would be great to hook up a decent size trout there.
    Thanks, Mark

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    ......Will Rogers

Normal trout suffer high rates of reproductive stress related mortality. It is the period after normal trout reach sexual maturity (3 or 4 years) that triploids out pace normal trout in growth potential. Triploids don’t waste energy on reproductive tissues (females don’t anyway) and can live longer and grow to awesome size if there is enough food. The best triploid lines are all female that never develop an interest in reproduction.

Triploid kokanee that could reach 7 or 8 years (and huge size) were an experiment that did not pay off as far as I know. Too bad, just think of an eight pound kok on your line.

Most of the manmade impoundments (reservoirs) have outlets that are screened off. This prevents any fish from migrating down stream. I would think that during an overflow, some might get down the river.

I wonder how old a trout has to be before he looses interest in spawning. I've read that triploids can live for up to eight years.

Rich

Red face Re: Triploid Trout - What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
    ^^ He's saying if they're "brood stock" then they're diploid which could lead to cross-breeding.
    Haha! Leave it to me to get my info mixed up

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSalmonids View Post
    From my understanding triploid trout are sterile and they won't be able to reproduce so contamination of a wild gene pool isn't really a concern.
    Yeah, triploid trout are sterile, but the brood stock maintained to produce them obviously are not sterile. Triploidy is induced by heat or pressure shocking the fertilized eggs.

^^ He's saying if they're "brood stock" then they're diploid which could lead to cross-breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by nolimits View Post
    I wonder if DFG is OK with Lassen "returning brood stock to the wild" that could spill over into the Moke and contaminate the steel head gene pool?
    From my understanding triploid trout are sterile and they won't be able to reproduce so contamination of a wild gene pool isn't really a concern.

The Big Kahuna

That's good more for me! Most my families got fins or horns we eat so much.. born an raised on fish and wild game.... Wouldn't want it any other way....
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

I wonder if DFG is OK with Lassen "returning brood stock to the wild" that could spill over into the Moke and contaminate the steel head gene pool?

Quote Originally Posted by calndn View Post
    Nice catch there capt I will take them anyday over 10 inch white meat dfg fish!!!!!!!

He usually does not eat them, catch and release......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast