Re: I have a 9.4 ft Malibu. Safe to take out of Stillwater cove?

What model Malibu do you have? I looked on their site and didn't see any at 9'4''. Is it a sit-on-top, or sit-inside?

Tomales Bay can be calm and flat and as easy to paddle as a lake, especially the south end. I've taken several newbies there and they've loved it. It's beautiful in nice weather.

The farther north you go, the more swells and current you get into, and it can be downright treacherous at the mouth. You can almost pick the conditions you want there.

It's a great place to learn saltwater paddling, and has some good fishing, too!

Quote Originally Posted by ngt View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll have to wait for late February when the tax return comes in and look into a better ocean kayak. I am already a bit sketchy on kayaking in the ocean, the least I should do is get the right gear before taking a shot at it. Got the PDF and paddle leash, but no wet suit or radio. Time to upgrade. Thanks again!
    All the above info goes for ALL kayaks regardless of length ! Real sound advice !

ngt

Quote Originally Posted by Racinrob View Post
    That's a pretty short kayak for the salt. Definately plan on a wetsuit or dry suit. Pfd of course. If its your first time out there try to go out with someone who has been out there before. It may look flat out past the shore break, but it can change fast and also be deceiving. Your best safety advise is to plan on swimming. You may not go in, but be prepared to get wet. I recommend a leash for your paddle. Don't want that to get away. A VHF radio is a good thing to have in case of emergency too. Look on NCKA.org to find what you need to know about the ocean. Sme guys are going out tomorrow I believe. Keep a look out in the hookup section to see when people will be out there. Always check out the forecast before heading out.
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll have to wait for late February when the tax return comes in and look into a better ocean kayak. I am already a bit sketchy on kayaking in the ocean, the least I should do is get the right gear before taking a shot at it. Got the PDF and paddle leash, but no wet suit or radio. Time to upgrade. Thanks again!

Blog Entries

That's a pretty short kayak for the salt. Definately plan on a wetsuit or dry suit. Pfd of course. If its your first time out there try to go out with someone who has been out there before. It may look flat out past the shore break, but it can change fast and also be deceiving. Your best safety advise is to plan on swimming. You may not go in, but be prepared to get wet. I recommend a leash for your paddle. Don't want that to get away. A VHF radio is a good thing to have in case of emergency too. Look on NCKA.org to find what you need to know about the ocean. Sme guys are going out tomorrow I believe. Keep a look out in the hookup section to see when people will be out there. Always check out the forecast before heading out.
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff Fishing Team Member

ngt

I have a 9.4 ft Malibu. Safe to take out of Stillwater cove?

I saw some guys out there today in yaks, dropping pots, and fishing for rocks. My yak is not the $1500 peddle yak or some 14 ft ocean yak. It's a 9.4ft malibu and although it's pretty stable for what it is and rigged for fishing, I'm really nervous about going into the ocean. Never even done the Tomales or Bodega bay, let alone launching over those giant swells to get to the flat water. Thoughts? What gear do I need? Wetsuit?

thanks