Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thukidad

Thread: Trolling Motor on Colorado XT

Re: Trolling Motor on Colorado XT

You live in an area with great access to good water. With a toon, its important to launch as close to the area you are gonna fish. This will minimize your effort to paddle or use of trolling motor so you spend more time fishing. Good area would be middle river, discovery bay, franks tract (stay within the no wake zone), etc... there good way is also to use google map to find quick simple access to backend slough. Hopefully we can hook up sometime on the water. Stay safe on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by thukidad View Post
    I use a 40# minnkota with a 27 group deep cycle battery. This is more than enough to move any toon in my opinion. 30# is sufficient to get the toon moving.. it really depends on how you fish and how for you want to go.. with a kickboat you have a lot of control in the water so you wouldnt need the trolling motor unless your going spot to spot.. this wil save a lot on battery life on the water and thrust needed..

Where do you live or areas you generally fish? I can point you to the right direction. With toons, you really have to becareful where you fish because of powerboats and jet skiers. Find places like backend sloughs, marina with 5 mph wake zone, etc..

Anything else just let me know
    I live in Antioch and any help is appreciated. Thanks!!! I just picked up a Gamefisher 30lb thrust. I just want to be able to move my fat A$$ around. LOL

I use a 40# minnkota with a 27 group deep cycle battery. This is more than enough to move any toon in my opinion. 30# is sufficient to get the toon moving.. it really depends on how you fish and how for you want to go.. with a kickboat you have a lot of control in the water so you wouldnt need the trolling motor unless your going spot to spot.. this wil save a lot on battery life on the water and thrust needed..

Where do you live or areas you generally fish? I can point you to the right direction. With toons, you really have to becareful where you fish because of powerboats and jet skiers. Find places like backend sloughs, marina with 5 mph wake zone, etc..

Anything else just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by pantherfb View Post
    Well it's a 30lb thrust. Anyone have suggestions?
    What size do pontoon users usually get?
    I have an 8.5' pontoon with a 45# endura max with costco group 24 deep cycle battery. I adjusted my seat forward a little bit to account for the extra weight in the back. Troll all day and still have more than 1/2 the battery (more like 3/4). My toon can go over 4 mph loaded with this set up.

for spots, give the DWC a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pantherfb View Post
    Last summer I purchased a Colorado XT pontoon boat. Tried it at a local reservoir in the wind and that thing wore me out.
    I want to put a Trolling motor on it.
    Specs say 36" Shaft and 30lb Thrust max.
    I might get a deal on a 40lb thrust. Seems light

What do the rest of the "Tooners" use and what should the Max really be?

Also where are some good sloughs to take it for some LMB fishing? general area no secret spots unless you don't mind.

Thanks
    Well it's a 30lb thrust. Anyone have suggestions?
    What size do pontoon users usually get?

Trolling Motor on Colorado XT

Last summer I purchased a Colorado XT pontoon boat. Tried it at a local reservoir in the wind and that thing wore me out.
    I want to put a Trolling motor on it.
    Specs say 36" Shaft and 30lb Thrust max.
    I might get a deal on a 40lb thrust. Seems light

What do the rest of the "Tooners" use and what should the Max really be?

Also where are some good sloughs to take it for some LMB fishing? general area no secret spots unless you don't mind.

Thanks