The Fish Sniffer The #1 Newspaper In The West Dedicated Entirely To Fishermen
      ALIBI
Custom Saltwater Rods
Click Here For Details
Fish Sniffer ForumsFishing ReportsFeaturesAngler's MarketplaceResourcesContact Us

Brought to you by:

Brought to you by:

Brought to you by:

The Fish Sniffer
Our 29th Year - The Fish Sniffer
Northern California Angler Publications

High Mountain Rainbow
Northern California
North Eastern
Fishing Reports
Scott Caldwell...N. Cal Rivers/Lakes

Great Places to Fish
Sponsors | Places to Fish Index

Hot-Bites Fishing Report
By the Fish Sniffer Staff
 

 
February 27 , 2010
Updated Regularly

BAUM LAKE BROWN/RAINBOW TROUT
(Burney) Baum Lake, heavily planted with rainbow and brown trout by the Department of Fish and Game, is producing lots of both species in the 9 to 17 inch range.
“About 60 percent of the fish are rainbows and the other 40 percent are browns,” explained Steve Vaughn at Vaughn’s Sporting Goods. “Fly fishermen are finding success on blue wing olive, small midge and Griffith’s Gnat patterns.”
Bait fishing enthusiasts are experiencing success with mealworms, nightcrawlers and Pautzke salmon eggs, while lure tossers are fooling trout with Kastmasters, Panther Martins and Roostertails.
The road from Pit River #5 to the Iron Canyon Dam is now plowed, so anglers can fish from the bank there for rainbows and browns. However, there is too much snow for vehicles to access the lake on the road beyond the dam, according to Vaughn.
Vaughn hasn’t heard any recent reports from fly fishermen going to the Pit River. The Pit from Lake Britton dam downstream is open to catch and release fishing with barbless hooks and artificials only through April 24, 2010.

Sponsors


Great Places to Fish
The Intermountain Area lies between Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen. The elevations range from 3,000' to 5,500' with a few mountains overlooking lava flows, lush farm land, forest, brush land, lakes, rivers and streams. Can you say TROUT? The Intermountain IS California's premier trout fishery. Hat Creek, Fall River, Pit River, Baum Lake, Lava Creek, and Lake Britton are world famous for the size and varieties of their trout. Much of the area is Catch & Release, check your regs. The trophy browns are a fly fisherman's favorite. If you would like to really get away from it all Medicine Lake on the Shasta Lava Flow is a good place to troll for rainbows. You will also find fantastic wild trout fishing in the Pit River around Alturas. The pressure on the fishery is lighter here but there aren't as many places to fish as around Burney and Fall River Mills. The Warner Mountains also offer limited high mountain opportunities.

Advertise With The Fish Sniffer
click here



Copyright 1997 - 2010 The Fish Sniffer & fishsniffer.com. All rights reserved
The Fish Sniffer & FishSniffer.com by NCA Publications
Problems, Comments E-mail Us PleasePrivacy Statement
Editorial Policy