Line a 13 x 9" baking dish with a large piece of foil
Make a few cuts into the flesh of each side of fish; put in prepared baking dish. Add bay leaves, coriander, chiles, lemon grass (if using), soya sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, sugar, lemon juice and pepper; turn fish to coat. Marinate at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2 lbs. whole fish or chunk of fish
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 stalks coriander, roots and stems only or 3 sprigs lemon thyme
- 2 finger chilies, slit down one side (small, medium-hot chiles)
- (opt.) 1 stalk lemon grass cut into short lengths cut on a bias into 5-6 pieces
- 2 Tbsp. soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger root
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. black pepper
- (opt.) 1 tsp. very finely chopped lemon grass or thyme leaves
- half lemon, thinly sliced
Close foil over fish, sealing it well. Bake 40 minutes; remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Open foil; sprinkle fish with lemon grass or thyme, if using and cover with a layer of lemon slices. Baste with a little of the juice. Broil for 2-3 minutes. Transfer fish to warm serving platter. Strain juices; pour over fish. Serves 4.
Like this recipe?
Send it to a Friend!