Post Thanks / Like

Re: San Pablo reservoir 04/08/18

Quote Originally Posted by gmdcdvm View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Greyson knows the reason we celebrate is not that we caught fish. Its that we hung out together. Every fishing day ends in a celebration.

Hey centerconsole,
    You mentioned size 5 rapals, any particular model or color that you recommend? Trolling for trout is a whole new thing for me, and any help would be appreciated.

Gerry

my personal favorite is the brooktrout color and a jointed in the blue and silver i have been killing trout with those this year.... but there are days when they either never touch or only touch firetiger i personally wont fish without firetiger in my box. My best tip is if you troll with rapalas this time of year buy a sinking and a jointed size 5 they catch everything in california lakes... trout, bass, crappie ive even had a good size catfish and carp gobble them (only once)... top line one and put a trolling sinker with about five foot leader on the other and set them back pretty far so they are away from the boat quite a ways... if your on a gas motor go as slow as it will let you go and work edges and points near shore especially this time of year... as it starts to warm up youll have to go deeper maybe invest in some leadcore line but right now i believe you should be able to get em.

good luck to you and your son!

2. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. Greyson knows the reason we celebrate is not that we caught fish. Its that we hung out together. Every fishing day ends in a celebration.

Hey centerconsole,
    You mentioned size 5 rapals, any particular model or color that you recommend? Trolling for trout is a whole new thing for me, and any help would be appreciated.

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pics sounds like a great day with a good size fish... try dragging small size 5 rapalas next time...its always my go to when im unsure of what to troll or want to give myself the best chance at getting bites on a new lake... especially if i get a late start.

good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: San Pablo reservoir 04/08/18

I fished there for years, before retirement and it was great for me. I love the shots of your son and you, those will play out in later years. Take him as much as you can every time, he will not forget...........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Who cares about the fish. Those are some "great time" pics with your son. Thanks for sharing. I know the fish helped but... Not needed.

Cheers,

Great post. This has inspired me to get out on the water with my six year old boy, who is excited to go fishing! Very true about the fish...the time spend with your boy is the best part of the experience. Thank you, as well for sharing.

7. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who cares about the fish. Those are some "great time" pics with your son. Thanks for sharing. I know the fish helped but... Not needed.

Cheers,

9. Likes halibut4me liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

San Pablo reservoir 04/08/18

Well,
    Greyson and I got a late start today. It was his last day of spring break, and he wanted to spend it fishing. Slept in till 9am, and then loaded up the car to head out. I was trying to figure out where to go when Greyson made an executive decision. “Let’s go to San Pablo. We haven’t been there in awhile.” So, our plan was set.
    We got there by 10am, and decided to rent a boat. It was a little windy, but he has been itching to go on a boat. Guy at the dock said the fishing has been tough, and I did not have high hopes given our late start.
    We went to scow canyon first, but with the wind it was hard to set up. Decided to make a move to sandy beach. There were probably 8-10 people along sandy beach. We set up shop at the south end by 11:30. I decided I wanted to try and troll since I have minimal experience doing it. Around 12 I was getting ready to cast off when one of the rods started bouncing.
    Handed the rod to Greyson and within a few minutes we boated a nice trout.
    That was it for us. Tried trolling along Sandy beach and scow canyon using a sling blade and small purple haze hoochie. No luck but I’m pretty clueless so take it for what it’s worth. Not a lot of fish on the finder.

Overall a great day. Hasn’t been just the two of us in awhile, and it was nice having some father and son time.

Final report: clear and sunny, some wind but doable. One rainbow trout 3.2lbs. One amazing day with my son!

Some pics below including a the traditional fish slap and ice cream celebration.