Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headed to Lake Almanor this weekend......advise?

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate, but you had some success.

Almanor is a great fishery, but it's fickle. If they aren't in the mood, you aren't going to make them eat. Sounds like you worked through it and found some.

Glad you got in a trip.

Thanks for the report.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    My cousin who bow hunts carp who is really good at it won stuff too just bought cabin on lake Almanor. Cant wait go up I have never fished it. Does it have nice big Browns? Kokanee? Kamloop rainbow? You know any the good stuff? If its just planter common rainbows chances I wont go.
    King salmon, browns, rainbows and phenomenal smallmouth bass

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    My cousin who bow hunts carp who is really good at it won stuff too just bought cabin on lake Almanor. Cant wait go up I have never fished it. Does it have nice big Browns? Kokanee? Kamloop rainbow? You know any the good stuff? If its just planter common rainbows chances I wont go.
    There are some really dandy browns and bows in there don't know much about the lake but my brother in-law trolls with his kayak and homemade downrigger and does quite well every summer!

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Well the fishing was tough this year. Got there Saturday and managed to scratch 4 fish on the afternoon bite. Sunday was 23mph winds and we got one fish and then blown off the lake at 1:30pm. Monday was better if you like fishing in the snow. Got 4 inches that night and it snowed most of the day and we got 9 fish. Tough fishing in the snow. Reminded me of Deadliest Catch. Tuesday was the worse day. Blue sky no wind calm day. Gorgeous day but only 2 fish. Most of the fish were on rapala f7 color neon green on top and a orange bottom.

Good luck everyone.

Jason and Christopher 2018.jpgTrolling in Snow 2018.jpg
    Last edited by Hookem2004; 04-19-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: add pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Better yet, JOIN the Almanor Fishing Association and make a contribution. All of that money goes toward the fish rearing program that has made Lake Almanor what it is today. You can swing by The Quail Lodge in Canyon Dam and while Debbie is setting you up with your membership John will point you toward the fish.
    I will talk to them. I will be staying there during my trip.

Thanks for the fishing tips, appreciate it much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wigaard View Post
    Your lure choices are good ones. Fish shallow, vary your speeds, and move around until you find fish.

Also check the fishing report on the Almanor Fishing Assoication page...its a great source of info.

Better yet, JOIN the Almanor Fishing Association and make a contribution. All of that money goes toward the fish rearing program that has made Lake Almanor what it is today. You can swing by The Quail Lodge in Canyon Dam and while Debbie is setting you up with your membership John will point you toward the fish.

8. Likes Chris Wigaard, Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just returned from Almanor.
    It seems as though we are still waiting for Spring to spring up there. There are a few hatches coming off but no huge clouds yet. Water was around 45 in the morning and warming up to 50 in some areas by late afternoon. Water clarity is pretty good even though there is a lot of water coming into the lake.
    Open water trolling probably won't be as effective as hugging the shoreline when possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    Headed to Lake Almanor this weekend and unfortunately the weather is going to be cold again like last year. Of course the fish won't be able to feel the difference.

Any advise on how to fish the lake in early Spring? Or lure suggestions? I normally troll speedy shiners and rapalas, but am open to some new suggestions.

Thanks of any tips.
    Your lure choices are good ones. Fish shallow, vary your speeds, and move around until you find fish.

Also check the fishing report on the Almanor Fishing Assoication page...it’s a great source of info.
    Last edited by Chris Wigaard; 04-11-2018 at 05:57 AM.

11. Likes Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headed to Lake Almanor this weekend......advise?

Headed to Lake Almanor this weekend and unfortunately the weather is going to be cold again like last year. Of course the fish won't be able to feel the difference.

Any advise on how to fish the lake in early Spring? Or lure suggestions? I normally troll speedy shiners and rapalas, but am open to some new suggestions.

Thanks of any tips.