Thread: Channel Cat?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Channel Cat?

Quote Originally Posted by ramskickbutt13 View Post
    Was fishing on San Pablo Reservoir 2 weeks ago. When I caught my biggest catfish ever in ca. Caught it on a raw hotdog with crawfish sent. This is a channel catfish right, and not a blue catfish? Thanks Jim
    Nice catch my friend. Yes counting the rays is the sure way of determining what species you have. Blue cats possess 30 to 36 rays. Channel cats have 24 to 29 rays.
    A gun is as good or bad as the person using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch! Was hotdog the planned bait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hydrasports 2000CC 225 ProXS and Livingston 10

Post Thanks / Like

The blue catfish that I have caught in New Hogan and other foothill reservoirs do not have the silver blue color of the blues I've caught back east and in color can look very similar to a large unspotted channel. They always have had the 30 plus rays in the anal fin however and that is my way to tell if I have caught a blue or a channel. This is important to me because I only keep blue catfish as I find them to have a whiter milder tasting meat than channels which will often have a yellow tint and stronger taste to the meat. If you catch another one count the rays (bones) in the anal fin. If you get past 29, put it on the stringer, cut the tail off to let it bleed out and enjoy some really good catfish.

4. Likes CAL.NDN, 916fisher, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree you can’t absolutely distinguish blues from channels by color but another way to distinguish them is that channels have some dark spots on them. Blues do not have dark spots.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 06-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't not rely on the color of the fish.

The anal fin on a blue is rectangular, with square corners. It resembles a pocket comb.

Look at the difference in shape of the anal fin of your fish. It is a channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ramskickbutt13 View Post
    Was fishing on San Pablo Reservoir 2 weeks ago. When I caught my biggest catfish ever in ca. Caught it on a raw hotdog with crawfish sent. This is a channel catfish right, and not a blue catfish? Thanks Jim
    David

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; deport him and you will not have to feed him again.
    Trump 20:16

7. Likes CAL.NDN, Tifoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Interesting bait you used , I’ve caught cats on a number of different baits but never on hotdogs. You are correct that is a channel cat.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Tifoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what kind of cat that is but that's a nice fish how much did it weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Star Channel Cat?

Attached Images Attached Images