Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good sources for a beginner? Books, articles, forums, Youtube series etc all welc

Take a class, sign up at your local fly shop. Best way to learn the necessary skills

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good sources for a beginner? Books, articles, forums, Youtube series etc all welc

Check out Lost Coast Outfitters in downtown San Francisco. They can direct you to the best club in your area. Very knowledgeable and willing to help guide a new angler to success.

Post Thanks / Like

Joining a club is a good idea. They have lessons for fly casting & fly tying, how to fish on the river, fishing outings, etc...

I've yet to visit the Golden Gate Casting club. I'm a member of the Diablo Valley Fly Fisherman in Walnut Creek. DVFF lets you borrow videos, not sure about books.
    https://dvff.clubexpress.com

4. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good sources for a beginner? Books, articles, forums, Youtube series etc all welcome!

Hey all! A friend of mine let me practice casting with his fly rod yesterday, and I had a lot of fun just getting the casting motion down. My only experience with fly fishing to this point was with a guided group many years ago on the Merced in Yosemite, and frankly, I don't remember too much (the guide was not particularly good at instruction). Other than that, I just started fishing seriously this year and have been mostly fishing for bass and trout.

I am a voracious learner though, and love being very deliberate about acquiring information about new hobbies. Outside of getting a mentor (working on that), what are other good sources of information for someone getting into fly fishing? I'm planning to go to the Golden Gate Casting club to try and see what I can learn there, but there seems to be so much to cover. Any tips for books, articles, video series, or even other forums would be greatly appreciated (and of course if you wouldn't mind taking on a newbie who loves to learn, that would be appreciated as well). Thanks!