Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best vacuum sealer system

I bought the Ziplock food sealer from Wally World about a year back. It was about 40 bucks cheaper than the foodsaver and it's worked just fine. It uses any of the bags, Ziplock or otherwise. I've only had it about a year but its held up pretty well. Still like new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Excellent tips and advice Jetspray. I’ve been using vacuum sealers for many many years and have learned most of the tricks. Here’s another tip. Instead of using a paper towel or what ever to deal with the moisture and juices, just put the meat, fowl, fish or what ever in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes and then seal it. The juices turn from liquid to solid and no mess or fuss.
    Thats my method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes burninfuel, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tips and advice Jetspray. I’ve been using vacuum sealers for many many years and have learned most of the tricks. Here’s another tip. Instead of using a paper towel or what ever to deal with the moisture and juices, just put the meat, fowl, fish or what ever in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes and then seal it. The juices turn from liquid to solid and no mess or fuss.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

5. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of my tips

1. I never re-use bags, plastic is not that expensive.

2. If you have a freezer that is not frost free, like in a garage, pre-freeze it in the fridge in the house and transfer it to your freezer in the garage.

3. When it is taken to the garage, put paper towels between the bags, frozen plastic is like glass and will break easily.

4. Frost free freezers have heaters in them to thaw the ice, guess what that does to your food, freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw....etc..etc..etc. How many cycles a day sometimes depends on how many times it is opened.

5. You can purchase moisture pads online which have better absorb quality moisture control. Paper towels are too sticky for me. I have a moisture setting as well as a gentle setting on my kitchen unit. If you put paper towel in I might suggest you put some plastic wrap between the towel and the meat.

6. If you have bone protruding meat cut a piece of bag and put that over the bone that is protruding to keep it from puncture of the bag problems.

7. Have fun and make sure you don't move the sealed bags too much in the freezer as they are brittle when frozen.

I have 3 current foodsavers in the home. All of them work great, even the hand held unit...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

7. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On my 3rd foodsaver in the last 25 or so years with lots of use. I switched to buying bags off e-bay. Great bags (rolls) at 1/3 the price of Costco or anywhere else delivered to your door. It’s like a sore peter? You can’t @%$# IT.

9. Likes Jetspray, dennis l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you are asking. Mine is dying and have to buy a new one today �� Looking at buying another Foodsaver from either Costco or Target. I like the flat machines vs the vertical ones. Both work fine but the vertical ones seem to need more bag to do the sealing, leading to less usable bags per roll. Having the roll cutter inside is nice but makes the machine larger. If you will occasionally use it, buy an inexpensive one.

Regardless of what machine you buy, if you don't properly prepare your fish to be packed, it will not last very long. Waste of a beautiful fillet to pull it out after 6 months and see it freezer burned.

After filleting the fish, pat them dry with a paper towel, trying to remove as much moisture as possible. Put the right and left side fillets into the bag, meat to meat, with the skin side to the outside. Seems to protect the meat from freezer burn and prevents the pin bones from popping a hole in the bag. Buy the rolls and make your own sized bags. I use the 11" bags for koke and trout fillets and the 8" ones for salmon

Vacuum, seal and date. Properly done, will last about 12 months in a freezer chest, 6-8 months in a refrigerator freezer (constant opening causes a thaw freeze cycle, affecting the meat).
    Very well said! Preparing is usually overlook.

Regardless, since I was into Sous Vide cooking, I decided to get a NutriChef Vacuum Sealer (under $50) and it was the best purchase. Although, there was a small learning curve of about 3 attempts, it was worth it. The first thing I did was salmon, it vacuumed it and sealed it beautifully. I will freeze some and make some at the end of the week and post an update to see how the salmon held up. I was able to do 5 packages without any issues. Clean design and very easy to use. Highly recommend!

Post Thanks / Like

I got tired of two things. Replacing Food Saver sealers every couple years. Also hated loosing game and fish in a sealed bag that eventually looses it's seal/vaccum. $200 a pop every 2-3 years for a decent food saver sealer added up over the past 10-15 years. Couple that with loosing meat from hunting trips that cost thousands of dollars, I knew it was time to take better care of what I paid my hard earned money for.

I went with the Vacuum Chamber. $699 with free shipping. The thing is a beast weighing in at 80+lbs I love it, commercial grade sealing. I honestly don't see this thing breaking down in the next few years. So fingers crossed I'm good on a sealer for the rest of my time here :)

Looks like it's on sale $649

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vac...86VMC10OP.html

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my 4th or 5th Food Saver since they came out. Being a charcuterist, I make my own sausage, smoke my own hams and bacon, they've gotten a ton of use over the years. I've recently gotten into dry aging steaks and making capicola with the use of the UMAi bags. The vertical Food Saver unit I was using till last week isn't optimal so I ordered the commercial grade sealer from Cabelas for my birthday last week. Works great and I don't have to wait for the unit to cool down before doing bag after bag.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...7.uts?slotId=0

Can't seem to upload images on this site. That happens! RAY
    Last edited by sawhorseray; 10-17-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Best vacuum sealer system

Quote Originally Posted by Coltsfan87 View Post
    No matter which one we get, cheap or expensive. We end up having to replace it every few years
    All depends on how many fish you catch a year. Mine may last a very long time since I don't catch to many fish a year

14. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No matter which one we get, cheap or expensive. We end up having to replace it every few years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast