Thread: Braided line

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Braided line

Hell yeah, braid all the way! 12 or 20lb braid, 30’ of 8lb flouro leader. Chamberlain releases. Works great and know a couple guides that run the same setup. Let’s you run nice small reels (lc100) with plenty of line.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 pound braid from reel to dodger and 8# fluoro to the lure for Kokanee with great success. Properly adjusted release and drag tension are a far greater factor than line stretch, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I occasionally use braid for trolling off the downrigger, but prefer and believe mono is the better choice. I use short setbacks (usually 20-30' behind the ball) and continue trolling when hooked up. Dragging a kokanee in behind a moving boat while using braid leaves little room for a mistake on a fish that has an extremely soft mouth. Here is where the stretch in mono is very beneficial. Plus, when using releases, mono tends to stay clipped due to its thicker diameter and elastic properties, where any extra torque from the rod (tightening or a rocking boat) will usually pull a braided line right out of the release, forcing you to re-set. Yes, you could use a tighter release but then the fish will not be able to pull it off, possibly leading to lost fish.

Vertical jigging for kokanee is where braid shines. The low stretch and small diameter are very helpful for feeling what the jig is doing and cutting quickly through the water column.

To me braid and mono are different tools for different applications: braid is great for vertical presentations and long line trolling applications, while mono is better for shorter trolling setbacks and when using a downrigger.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 10-18-2018 at 01:01 PM.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woodie View Post
    Who uses braided line while trolling for Kokanee?
    If so what wait?
    Kokanee have really soft mouths and braid does not stretch like a mono line does. I don't use it for Kokanee for that reason but if I was it would be after a mono leader and I'd go with nothing more than 6lb since it is also highly visible. As far as the wait question.. Sometimes you wait a long time and sometimes you get bit right away.. O.K. that was bad but hey, it was there... LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Braided line

Who uses braided line while trolling for Kokanee?
    If so what wait?